In 2023, because of the commitment of supporters and activists like you, the courage of our clients, the work of our dedicated staff, and the on the ground efforts of our partners the ACLU of Illinois continued to protect and expand civil rights and liberties.
- Ended the use of money bond, allowing Illinois to become the first state to abolish the practice of jailing someone simply because they cannot afford the price of bond.
- Removed one of the most restrictive name change laws in the country.
- Reinforced the protections for health care professionals and patients seeking abortion and gender affirming health care in Illinois.
- Challenged the discriminatory practice of targeting predominately Black and Latine drivers in Chicago for pretextual traffic stops.
- Fought back against efforts to limit free speech and free expression by local governments across the state.
If you are able, please make a gift today, to protect civil liberties and civil rights in Illinois and nationwide. We cannot do this work alone. Your continued support and engagement is critical to our efforts. Together, we will continue to fight to ensure “We the People” truly means all of us.
Find out more about the ACLU of Illinois’ work this year:
Be informed about our work in 2024:
- Sign up to Receive Action Alerts
- Sign up for People Power
- Follow us on: Facebook | Instagram | Threads| X Twitter