The Women’s and Reproductive Rights Project (WRRP) of the American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois seeks – through coordinated litigation, public education, and legislative and regulatory advocacy – to secure medical privacy, gender equality, and bodily autonomy and to make certain that all in our society have access to safe and effective contraception; sexuality education; reproductive technologies; prenatal care; childbearing assistance; and safe, legal, and accessible abortion. Our advocacy ensures that women can participate equally in the professional, academic, and social spheres of our society. The Project is particularly concerned with issues affecting low income women, young people, and women of color. The Project works in collaboration with local and national reproductive rights and justice advocates, the ACLU’s National Office, and the ACLU’s nationwide network of state affiliates.
The ACLU of Illinois seeks a legal fellow with 0-5 years of experience who will assist the WRRP attorneys in all aspects of the Project’s litigation, policy advocacy, and public outreach and education. Responsibilities may include conducting research and writing in support of the WRRP’s legal and policy advocacy, assisting with trial and/or appellate litigation as needed, assisting with all aspects of WRRP’s Judicial Bypass Coordination Project, and participating in speaking events on behalf of the WRRP. This legal fellowship is for one-year renewable terms, beginning in Fall 2018.
- Recent law school graduates and attorneys with up to 5 years of experience are invited to apply; some experience as a practicing attorney preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to reproductive rights and justice, women’s rights, and access to abortion services.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Excellent communication skills, including comfort with public speaking, and ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences.
- Self-motivated, innovative, and capable of working both independently and as part of a team.
- Willingness and ability to work some irregular hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Spanish language skills a plus.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The salary will be in accordance with the ACLU salary scale. Excellent benefits include four weeks paid vacation after first year; 100% employer-paid medical, vision, and dental insurance for staff and eligible dependents; a 403(b) retirement benefits plan with employer match; life insurance; and long-term disability insurance.
Applicants should send a resume, letter of interest, list of references, law school transcript, and legal writing sample to email@example.com and use the subject line “Legal Fellow WRRP.” No calls or snail mail please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The ACLU of Illinois is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, criminal record, or veteran status.