The American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois seeks applicants for a full-time Finance and Operations Assistant, a key position in its administrative department. This position is strongly focused on financial operations and supporting the Director of Finance, and will involve a variety of other general office and administrative support duties.
This is a challenging, fast-moving position with room for personal development and growth. Our ideal candidate consistently exhibits a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail; has a keen eye for spotting errors and inconsistencies; isn’t afraid to raise and resolve a dispute with a vendor over poor service or an incorrect invoice; and is excited to join our team of motivated, hard-working civil libertarians during one of the most vital, energizing, and challenging periods in the nearly 100-year history of the ACLU.
- Provide key administrative and finance-related support to the Director of Finance.
- Manage accounts payable, ensuring that vendors are paid promptly.
- Enter data and perform routine daily, weekly, and monthly accounting functions utilizing Financial Edge accounting software.
- Assist the Finance Director in preparing budgets, monthly financial statements, annual audited financial statements and tax returns, and other projects for a $7M operation.
- Track budget expenditures, construct queries, and perform analysis as requested.
- Assist with benefits administration, managing changes to insurance status, retirement accounts, payroll, and personal leave.
- Support the board finance committee by arranging and facilitating meetings, taking and preparing minutes, keeping records, and other tasks as needed.
- Manage maintenance and contracts for office equipment and appliances.
- Provide general administrative support and other responsibilities as assigned.
- High degree of integrity, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office—particularly Excel—with excellent general computer skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills—the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to follow directions, exercise sound independent judgment, work independently and on a team, meet deadlines, and maintain confidentiality.
- Strong commitment to civil liberties and civil rights.
- Personal enthusiasm, optimism, and humor.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience.
- Preferred: One or more years of experience managing accounts payable, preferably in a non-profit organization; experience with not-for-profit, fund accounting; working knowledge or familiarity with Financial Edge and Salesforce.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience within the parameters of the ACLU compensation scale. Excellent benefits include four weeks paid vacation after first year; employer-paid medical, vision and dental insurance; 403(b) plan with match; life insurance; short and long-term disability insurance.
Please email a resume and cover letter describing: 1) your interest in this position, 2) the ways in which you satisfy the qualifications specified above, and 3) your salary expectations.
Please send these materials via email to email@example.com. Please use the subject line: Finance and Operations Assistant. No calls or snail mail please.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, which will be no earlier than January 31, 2018.
About the ACLU of Illinois:
With a staff of 40 and approximately 75,000 members and supporters, the ACLU of Illinois is one of the largest state affiliates of the American Civil Liberties Union, a nationwide, non-partisan membership organization dedicated to the defense and expansion of civil rights and civil liberties. The ACLU has been at the forefront of every major battle for civil liberties and social justice in this country and continues to work through integrated advocacy to advance equality, fairness, and freedom, especially for the most vulnerable in our society.
The ACLU of Illinois is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, criminal record, or veteran status.