This position is responsible for data entry and the processing of all philanthropic gifts, donor acknowledgements, records management, front-line donor support, event support, and other duties as assigned.
The Assistant reports to the Director of Individual Giving and works closely with other members of the development department, program staff, and with development colleagues throughout the ACLU system.
- Enter philanthropic gifts and manage constituent and financial data in donor database.
- Ensure the accurate processing of gifts in an efficient manner.
- Execute the acknowledgement process, producing accurate and timely acknowledgements for all donors.
- Draft specialized acknowledgements and other documents in support of the major gift program.
- Serve as first point of contact for donor questions over phone and email.
- Manage and ensure accuracy of donor information in the database.
- Support the planning of and execute mailings and appeals as necessary.
- Maintain development and major gifts program files, both electronic and hard copy.
- Provide general administrative support and other responsibilities as assigned.
- Manage foundation gift and pledge processing.
- Assist with clerical tasks related to foundation work.
- Provide prospect research on major gift and foundation prospects and donors.
- Event support including:
- Update and manage event-related data in database.
- Assist with event logistics and staffing.
- Provide basic reports including mailing lists and donor giving histories.
- One or more years of experience with databases, preferably in the development department of a non-profit organization.
- Must have excellent general computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite, experience with Excel preferred).
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously and to meet deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion within the office, and a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Ability to work well with others as part of a team and to work independently.
- Commitment to maintaining good donor relations, confidentiality, and accurate records.
- Strong commitment to the cause of civil liberties and human rights.
- Personal enthusiasm, optimism, and humor, and comfort with creative processes.
- Familiarity with the following software preferred: Salesforce, Springboard, any Blackbaud products, roundCorner, Looker, NOZA, WealthEngine.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with experience, within the parameters of the ACLU compensation scale. Excellent benefits include four weeks paid vacation after first year; 100% employer-paid medical, vision, and dental insurance for staff and eligible dependents; a 403(b) retirement benefits plan with employer match; life insurance; and long-term disability insurance.
Please submit a cover letter and resume via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line “Development Assistant.” No calls please. Applications will be accepted until May 23, 2019.
The ACLU of Illinois is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.