The American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois seeks an Advocacy Assistant to support to the Advocacy Department. This position requires administrative experience, the ability to maintain confidentiality, exercise sound independent judgment, multi-task, take initiative, and meet deadlines. The successful candidate will have excellent verbal and written communication skills, and strong organizational skills. A commitment to civil liberties and civil rights principles is essential. The position is full-time with benefits, and based in Chicago. The person will report to the Advocacy and Intergovernmental Affairs Director.
- Maintain a database of bills of interest in the Illinois legislature.
- Collect and maintain a library of resources and contacts relating to a variety of legislative and advocacy issues.
- Assist Advocacy team members with Westlaw and Internet research, and other special projects.
- Assist Advocacy team members with the creation of PowerPoint and other presentations.
- Keeping track of Public Records Act and Freedom of Information Act requests, including drafting PRAs and FOIAs, tracking responses and following-up to ensure responses are complete, and assisting in substantive review of responses.
- Work with Advocacy team to compose content regarding legislative activity for the ACLU of Illinois website and social media.
- Work with the communications department to maintain and update the legislative portion of the ACLU-IL website.
- Collect and catalogue internal talking points on legislative initiatives and issues of interest.
- Provide administrative support to the Advocacy Department that includes, but is not limited to:
- Assisting with events, including collecting RSVPs and managing logistics for coalition meetings and convenings.
- Providing logistical support for meetings, both in and out of the office.
- Making travel arrangements.
- Drafting, formatting, and mailing letters and faxes.
- Organizing, filing, scanning/photocopying materials.
- Reviewing and responding to correspondence.
- Preparing expense reimbursement reports.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- 3-5 years of paralegal, legislative, or advocacy assistant experience required.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to manage multiple priorities effectively.
- Proficiency with Windows Operating System, especially with Microsoft Word, Outlook, Adobe Acrobat, PowerPoint and other Office programs, including facility with email merge, spreadsheets, tables, and charts.
- Ability to follow directions, exercise sound independent judgment, work independently and on a team, meet deadlines, and maintain confidentiality.
- Creative and enthusiastic approach to the work.
- Experience working with diverse communities.
- A strong commitment to civil liberties and civil rights.
- Candidates must be willing to work occasional overtime on evenings and weekends.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The salary will be in accordance with the ACLU salary scale. Excellent benefits include four weeks paid vacation after first year; fully employer-paid medical, vision and dental insurance for staff and eligible dependents; a 403(b) retirement benefits plan; life insurance; and long-term disability insurance.
Applicants should email a resume and cover letter describing your interest in this position and the ways in which you satisfy the qualifications specified above. Email firstname.lastname@example.org and type “Advocacy Assistant” in the subject line of your email. No calls or snail mail please. Applications will be accepted beginning August 7, 2019 until the position is filled.
The ACLU of Illinois is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.