Make your voice heard!
- Putting Patients First – You may be shocked to learn that current Illinois law permits doctors, nurses and other health care providers to deny information and health care to their patients based on the providers’ religious beliefs.This law is wrong and must be changed in order to put patients first. Under Senate Bill 1564, health care providers can assert religious objections to providing care and information, but must have in place protocols designed to ensure that the patient gets the information needed to make an informed medical decision. Tell your state representative to support this measure.
- Curbing police surveillance – Automatic License Plate Readers (ALPRs) can create a vast database of records about where someone is at a particular moment. We know that if government knows where we are, they know a great deal about us. While there may be appropriate uses for this technology, it must not be for creating a massive surveillance database. Contact your State Representative and urge them to support House Bill 3289.
- Three Dangerous Anti-Choice Bills that Must Be Stopped – A group of ideologically-driven, anti-abortion legislators have launched a series of misguided measures designed to severely limit access to abortion services for women across the State of Illinois: House Bill 3561 would bar all abortion services in Illinois after 20 weeks, even if a woman faces pregnancy complications that put her health at risk; House Bill 3274 seeks to make it impossible for abortion clinics to operate, forcing these facilities to create the equivalent of a small hospital, and; House Bill 2701 makes up a fake new medical procedure – an “active ultrasound” – and then forces all women seeking an abortion in Illinois to view such an ultrasound or state her refusal in writing. Tell your state legislator that politicians should not be playing doctor!
- Fight Overincarceration in Illinois – Illinois now incarcerates more than 48,000 people in state prisons, the 8th highest prison population in the nation. While other large states across the U.S. have implemented a number of reforms that have reduced their prison population in recent years, the State of Illinois’ prison population has ballooned to more than 190% of capacity. It is time for action. Contact your state representative and state senator and demand real action–not just more words–on fixing our incarceration system.
- It’s time for marijuana reform – Illinois should join the list of states that impose a civil fine for the possession of small amounts of marijuana. It’s a policy that makes sense because it is fair, it is likely to save the state money and a majority in the nation support reforming our marijuana laws. Tell your state representative to support marijuana reform in Illinois.
For up-to-the-minute action alerts, follow us:
Visit the ACLU National Action Center
for more actions you can take today.